Wednesday, September 17, 2008

What a Lovely Day.

I got so much done in my bedroom. The only reason I stopped was that it was time to take KidThree to group, and even that I forgot--she had to call from school to find out why I hadn't come to pick her up. Oops. I got all the bookcases moved from one side of the room to the other (this mattered, really it did), which took forever. De-booking, moving bookcases, re-booking, over and over and over again. Then finding out that a bookcase hit an outlet in the wrong spot, then another one was one inch too close to the desk, and I had to do it all again. Finally all the bookcases were where they were supposed to go, and the books were back on the bookcases. Not in any discernible order, mind you, but they are on shelves. For now, that will have to do. I kept coming across odds and ends like odd socks, and a missing bra (I KNEW I had three bras that color!) and a shirt I had given up for lost, along with a box of goodies for NephewC and many, many things belonging to KidOne. KidOne's things are all in a box by the front door; I'll get them to her tomorrow afternoon when she comes to borrow my car to move boxes. NephewC's things will go down to the parents' house; he is living with his other grandmother right now and doesn't need the lovely black and white things I bought him for his kitchen, and my mother has some storage space in her office. Goodness only knows I have no storage space here. I got so much done in that room today, there may actually be room on the floor in there for my futon.

After group, KidThree and I went to pick up her friend, FriendK, and go to McDonald's for our Wednesday date. We met FriendK at a light rail station. I knew things might be problematic with him because he appeared to have his entire wardrobe in a garbage bag that had so many holes in it, I couldn't figure out how he hadn't lost half his clothes already. Sure enough, FriendK's mother had kicked him out that morning because he wouldn't let her sell his food stamps card to get drug money (for her, not for him). That poor kid. He has a friend who is going to let him come stay, but he had no money to get to that friend's home. FriendK will spend tonight and tomorrow here, then Friday I'll have time to take him to his friend's home and to a welfare office so he can apply for aid. After twelve years working for welfare departments, I speak fluent social worker and can help FriendK with the paperwork. In exchange for a day or two of room and board, FriendK gets to move the futon.

KidTwo's friend came by with the gifts she sent from down south. KidTwo is the best gift-chooser ever. She knew KidOne was trying to reduce her number of knick-knacks, so she sent KidOne a small wallhanging. She knew KidThree was going to have to testify shortly and was terrified of doing so, so she sent KidThree a little talisman, a miniaturization of a ceremonial 'weapon' used by the Inca to gouge the hearts out of their enemies. KidThree will wear it on a chain when she goes to court. For me, she sent a zippered tote bag/purse that is a beautifully woven rainbow of colors (I had asked for a bag only). Poor KidTwo's grandfather was sure that wasn't enough of a gift (it was!), so he sent a lovely shawl to keep me warm on my walks. The shawl is about the prettiest thing I've ever had. I may have to get a really snazzy outfit just to give me something to wear the shawl with; it would be serious overkill with my jeans. The grandparents down south also sent beautiful ponchos to the grandparents up here. I do have the loveliest in-laws. Yes, I divorced their son, but they kept me and I kept them; we didn't divorce.

A

No comments: